Begonia Care Guide: Thrive with Vibrant Color
All you need to know to keep your Begonia’s happy
Begonia's come in so many varieties and their leaves are something to be admired. So many different colours that add a pop of
colour to a bland, boring room, transforming it into a stylish space. If you've never owned a Begonia, or you've found them hard to
please, then read below to equip you with all you need to have lush, beautiful Begonia's.
Watering Your Begonias
Begonias dislike soggy soil. Overwatering is a common mistake; it's crucial to let the top few inches of soil dry out before rewatering. They prefer their environment on the drier side, so wait until the soil is nearly dry before giving them a thorough watering.
Begonias need bright, natural light but not direct sunlight, which can burn their leaves. They thrive in bright indirect or medium light. Position them in a spot that receives plenty of natural light without the harshness of direct sun.
The Ideal Soil
Mix 1 part perlite with 4 parts potting mix for the best soil composition. This mix ensures good aeration and moisture retention, allowing water to release slowly, creating an ideal environment for your Begonias.
Extra Care Tips
- Fertilizing: Use an all-purpose houseplant fertilizer during the growing season, following package instructions for dilution.
- Pests: Keep an eye out for common pests like mealybugs or spider mites. Treat any infestations promptly with an appropriate insect control spray.
- Yellow or brown leaves: Often a sign of watering issues. Adjust your watering schedule as needed.
- Temperature: Aim for a consistent room temperature between 12-24°C to avoid stress.
- Pests: Regularly inspect for pests and treat immediately if found.
Begonias are toxic to cats and dogs. Keep them out of reach of your furry friends to avoid any accidental ingestion.
Caring for Begonias is about balance—managing light, water, and soil conditions to mimic their natural habitat. With these tips, your Begonias will not only survive but thrive, adding beauty and color to your home.
For more tips and our full range of Begonias, check out our website. We're here to make plant care straightforward and enjoyable. Let us know how your Begonias are doing; we love hearing from our plant community!